My boyfriend is using an Android (HTC Desire with Android 2.2) phone because he’s strictly against the current Apple mainstream movement. He has a Small Business Server 2008 in his office and his phone syncs email, contacts and calendars using Active Sync – at least, it should sync.
A few days ago he complained about calendar items not syncing from the phone to his Outlook client. As there are similar problems with the iPhone (see my article “New contacts created on iPhone do not sync with Outlook/Exchange”), I tried to figure out to which database the Android phone stores new calendar items. I noticed that I can only select “Google” and “PC Sync” – but no “Exchange”.
Some deeper digging in the internet showed that other users have the same problem. They describe that the sequence in how the accounts are added to the phone influence if Exchange is showing up in the calendar app or not. Many users solved the problem by completely reseting the phone and to set up the Exchange account before setting up the Google account.
This is not necessary! Here is a solution which works without completely reseting your phone:
- Delete the Exchange account under “Settings > Accounts and Sync”
- Delete the calendar data by going into Settings, Applications, and selecting both Calendar and Calendar Storage, then “Delete data”
- Re-add the exchange account.
Please note that your Exchange calendar won’t be deleted; but if you have items in your local calendar they will be gone after these steps!